Student Unions & Activities (SUA) Grant applications are now being accepted for the Fall 2020 semester. Applications for Spring 2021 will be made available later in the fall semester. SUA Grants are available to assist with expenses related to student group and departmental events. As a result of COVID-19 there have been a number of changes to the SUA Grants program. You can see those changes outlined below. Contact the Student Activities Grants Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions.
We have one comprehensive grant application which will automatically consider you for all grant initiatives for which you qualify. This includes the Student Activities Grants (Administrative and SSF Event) and Coca-Cola Grants (Activity, Development, Sustainability, and Academic). Review the Grant Eligibility Table for a breakdown of the different initiatives.
Updates for SUA Grants in Fall 2020¶
Funding for Fall Events
The SUA grants program will fund events that occurred between August 1 and December 31, as long as the funds are requested this fall. Groups may request funds for those events that will occur later in the semester as well as those events that have already happened.
Funding only for Virtual Events
SUA grants will only fund virtual events during the fall semester. SUA Grants can also fund virtual events that have a necessary small in-person component. Any in-person component of a virtual event can have no more than 10 total attendees and must follow University of Minnesota and Minnesota Department of Health guidelines, including face coverings and physical distancing.
There is limited funding available this semester for grants. As a result, groups may be awarded a total of $600 in funding for the fall 2020 semester. Groups can request funds for any number of events and can request any amount of funding for their events provided their award amount is below $600 in total funding. Limits for spring funding will be announced with the application for spring events is available. Grants for individuals and departments will not be awarded in the fall semester.
Food will not be funded for any events during the fall 2020 semester.
Travel expenses will not be funded for any events during the fall 2020 semester.
SUA Grants can be used to fund some operational expenses (such as short-term subscription-based online services) for the purpose of engaging students digitally. SUA Grants cannot be used to fund ongoing subscriptions, the purchase of any permanent software or hardware, or physical items related to in-person or virtual student engagement. Funding is also not available for group general operating costs (i.e. group supplies, apparel, meetings, recruitment events, practices, officer trainings, and weekly/biweekly occurrences).
Information About Student Activities Grants¶
Includes: Administrative and Student Services Fees (SSF) Event Grants
Funding Focus: The Student Activities Grants are intended to provide supplemental financial support to student groups seeking to host or participate in activities, programs, and special events that enhance the co-curricular experience for students at the University of Minnesota. Applicants must show how project will promote student development, enhance diversity, and/or benefit the campus community.
Information About Coca-Cola Grants¶
Includes: Activity Initiative, Development Initiative, Sustainability Initiative, and Academic Initiative
Funding Focus: The Coca-Cola Grants are intended to provide supplemental financial support to student groups, university departments, and individuals seeking to host or participate in activities, programs, and special events that enhance the co-curricular experience for students at the University of Minnesota. Applications must show how the project will promote student development, enhance diversity, and/or benefit the campus community. Applicants may request their award in the form of funding and/or Coca-Cola® products.
Information About Grant Process Overview¶
- Apply for grant online in accordance with listed application due dates. It is recommended that applicants apply at least one cycle prior to their final deadline, in order to allow time for re-application if denied and to improve the likelihood of receiving funds prior to event date. Start Your Online Application.
- Continue planning your event while waiting to receive grant award notification. Please see the Sample Event Planning Worksheet.
- Grant application is reviewed by the SUA Grant Committee.
- If awarded, follow the instructions outlined in your grant award notification email. Awarded groups will be required to submit a Statement of Agreement within two weeks of the award notification email in order to retain the grant award.
- RSOs will be notified that their check is ready for pickup from the Student Activities Office within 2-4 weeks after submitting the Statement of Agreement. Campus Life Program (CLPs), University Departments, and individuals will receive their grant award through departmental EFS transfer.
- If your group was awarded Coca-Cola Product as part of your grant award, place your order with Coca-Cola directly at least two weeks prior to your event. You will receive further instructions regarding this process if this applies to you.
- Host your event.
- Following the completion of your event, submit the Event/Project Evaluation form, actual budget, and upload all event receipts. A post-event meeting may be required must be completed by the deadline.