The SUA Grants Application is closed for the 2020-2021 school year. Funds for the 2021-2022 school year will become available in August 2021.
Student Unions & Activities (SUA) Grants are available to assist with a variety of expenses related to student group events and digital engagement. The SUA grants program will only fund virtual events that will occur between January 1 and May 31.There have been a number of changes, some of which are highlighted below. Students can view all changes on the grants page. Contact the Student Activities Grants Assistant at email@example.com with further questions.
We have one comprehensive grant application which will automatically consider you for all grant initiatives for which you qualify. This includes the Student Activities Grants (Administrative and SSF Event) and Coca-Cola Grants (Activity, Development, Sustainability, and Academic). Review the Grant Eligibility Table for a breakdown of the different initiatives.
Updates for SUA Grants in Spring 2021¶
Application Due Dates
For specific deadlines, please see the grant application due dates table with application deadlines and committee review dates. Applications are due 4-8 weeks before the event is scheduled to take place.
The maximum amount of funding available per academic year for each group has been increased to $5000 for Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) and $4000 for Campus Life Programs (CLPs). Groups who received the maximum of $600 in the fall semester will be eligible to receive the rest of their available funding in the spring semester.
Post event meetings are no longer automatically required for every group after the completion of grant-supported events. Groups must still complete the Event/Project Evaluation (Post-Event) Form within a month of their event. Once this form is submitted, an advisor will review the form and will only schedule a meeting if they have questions related to the event and financial documents.
As groups plan virtual events, it can be challenging to consider what expenses the grants program will support. The following expenditures and costs related to virtual engagement are examples that could be supported by the SUA Grants Program:
- Honorariums for speakers in a virtual event
- Digital advertising costs
- Temporary subscriptions to software used for digital engagement (video editing, photoshop etc.)
- Expense related to broadcasting an event virtually
- Equipment rental costs needed to create an event or recorded performance
- Transcription/live-captioning services
- Registration costs for virtual conferences
Funding Only for Virtual Events
SUA grants will only fund virtual events during the spring semester.
Food will not be funded for any events during the spring 2021 semester.
Travel expenses will not be funded for any events during the spring 2021 semester.
SUA Grants can be used to fund some operational expenses (such as short-term subscription-based online services) for the purpose of engaging students digitally. SUA Grants cannot be used to fund ongoing subscriptions, the purchase of any permanent software or hardware, or operational items related to in-person or virtual student engagement. Funding is also not available for group general operating costs (i.e. group supplies, apparel, meetings, recruitment events, practices, officer trainings, and weekly/biweekly occurrences).
Information About Student Activities Grants¶
Includes: Administrative and Student Services Fees (SSF) Event Grants
Funding Focus: The Student Activities Grants are intended to provide supplemental financial support to student groups seeking to host or participate in activities, programs, and special events that enhance the co-curricular experience for students at the University of Minnesota. Applicants must show how project will promote student development, enhance diversity, and/or benefit the campus community.
Information About Coca-Cola Grants¶
Includes: Activity Initiative, Development Initiative, Sustainability Initiative, and Academic Initiative
Funding Focus: The Coca-Cola Grants are intended to provide supplemental financial support to student groups, university departments, and individuals seeking to host or participate in activities, programs, and special events that enhance the co-curricular experience for students at the University of Minnesota. Applications must show how the project will promote student development, enhance diversity, and/or benefit the campus community. Applicants may request their award in the form of funding and/or Coca-Cola® products.
Information About Grant Process Overview¶
- Apply for grant online in accordance with listed application due dates. It is recommended that applicants apply at least one cycle prior to their final deadline, in order to allow time for re-application if denied and to improve the likelihood of receiving funds prior to the event date. Start Your Online Application.
- Continue planning your event while waiting to receive grant award notification. Please see the Sample Event Planning Worksheet.
- Grant application is reviewed by the SUA Grant Committee.
- If awarded, follow the instructions outlined in your grant award notification email. Awarded groups will be required to submit a Statement of Agreement within two weeks of the award notification email in order to retain the grant award.
- RSOs will be notified that their check has been mailed out to their address within 3-5 weeks after submitting the Statement of Agreement. Campus Life Program (CLPs), University Departments, and individuals will receive their grant award through departmental EFS transfer.
- If your group was awarded Coca-Cola Product as part of your grant award, place your order with Coca-Cola directly at least two weeks prior to your event. You will receive further instructions regarding this process if this applies to you.
- Host your event.
- Following the completion of your event, submit the Event/Project Evaluation form, actual budget, and upload all event receipts. Once this form is submitted, an advisor will review the form and will only schedule a meeting if they have questions related to the event and financial documents.