Whether you’re a singer/songwriter, rapper, or part of a band this is the perfect event to showcase your talent! This year’s Battle of the Bands will be a bit different due to COVID-19. The preliminary round will be done through pre-recorded sessions at The Whole and the final round will be live streamed with cleaning and safety precautions between each artist.
- Student performers interested in participating in this year’s battle will submit an application between January 4th and February 12th.
- In the following days applications will be reviewed by Whole event planners and performers will be selected for the preliminary round
- Those chosen will record a short 10-15 minute set at The Whole for the preliminary YouTube round.
- Videos will all be released at the same time on our YouTube page and after a week finalists will be chosen based on the video statistics (see preliminary round judging rubric below)
- Finalists will compete in a live streamed show at The Whole where they will each perform 15-20 minutes. Since there will be no in person audience, judging will be done through a combination of a judges panel and number of viewers throughout each band’s set (view the final round judging rubric here)
- Each group/performer must contain at least one currently-enrolled University of Minnesota - Twin Cities student.
- Performers must provide all instruments as we cannot backline/share at this time.
- Due to COVID-19 protocol we can only allow one singer per band/group and wind instruments will not be allowed.
- Solo artists as well as full bands are allowed.
- Groups selected to compete must perform live. No lip syncing will be allowed.
- Original songs are encouraged. All genres are welcomed.
History of the Whole Music Club
Since its inception in the 1960's, the Whole Music Club has contributed to the cultivation of a huge, and diverse music community in the Twin Cities. What began as a coffeehouse for students to perform and study, quickly evolved into a nationally renowned venue that offers students the opportunity to see local and national music icons for affordable prices on campus.
Apply to Perform at the Whole
Got a band? Fill out this form for the chance to perform at the Whole Music Club.
Questions? Email Us