Student group registration is administered through Student Unions & Activities and all student groups must complete the process every academic year.
The student group registration process is how student groups maintain a relationship with the University. Student groups that are registered with the University of Minnesota have the ability to conduct activities at the University in accordance with established University policies and procedures. Student Unions & Activities maintains an official file/record for registered groups with the Student Activities Office. Any information pertaining to the group’s registration, constitution, or classification status contained in the student group’s file/record is considered public information.
By registering with Student Unions & Activities, student groups agree to abide by all University of Minnesota policies, including policies governing activities, events, and other operations on the Twin Cities campus. Student groups are expected to review the student group policies before registering a group. Student groups that complete the registration process during the academic year 2020-2021 will be registered until September 30, 2021.
Overall Registration Timeline¶
- July 13, 2021: New and Expired Groups can begin registration
- August 17, 2021: Currently Registered Groups can begin registration
- September 30, 2021: Last day for Currently Registered groups to begin registration
- May 1, 2022: Last day for New and Expired Groups to begin registration
Student group leaders can still take action towards registration in the weeks leading up to registration.
How do I register my group?¶
You can verify your group’s registration status by looking at your group’s GopherLink profile page under “Standing (view student group status levels here)”. We also have a list of expired groups here: z.umn.edu/expiredgroups.
Groups will follow this process to complete the annual registration process on behalf of their groups:
- Groups submit the "Initiate 2021-22 Student Group Registration Form" (https://z.umn.edu/groupregstart)
- The officer who completes this form will be the contact for the rest of the registration process.
- All groups must submit their most current constitution. Only New and Expired groups will have the constitution reviewed before registration is complete. Currently Registered groups’ constitutions will be reviewed later in the year. View information about constitutions on SUA's constitution page.
- Campus Life Programs must also submit their most recent and up to date CLP Advisor Letter. You can download the letter template here: https://z.umn.edu/clpadvisorletter.
- The officer is assigned and must complete the SG Registration Canvas Course
- The officer will be assigned the Canvas course after they complete the "Initiate 2021-22 Student Group Registration" form.
- The group receives the link to update their GopherLink profile (gopherlink.umn.edu). Once the profile is updated with the group’s current roster, registration will be approved.
- New and Expired groups will also be required to meet with an advisor before their registration is complete. More information will be provided in the email communication.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org at any point during the process to ask questions.