James A. Johnson Scholarship Award
Alfred I. Johnson established this scholarship to honor his father, James A Johnson. As former Minnesota Student Association president, James A. Johnson has had a long career in politics and public affairs. James served as Executive Assistant to Vice President Walter Mondale, is Chairman Emeritus of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the Brookings Institute. James and Alfred come from a family of dedicated public servants. Jim's father, Alfred Ingvald Johnson, was former speaker of the Minnesota House of Representatives and former University of Minnesota Regent 1959-65.
This award seeks to honor James' contributions to the world of politics and policy and to offer financial assistance to undergraduate students who are taking a similar path and are actively engaged with the University community, especially with an interest in politics and public service. Some engagement examples may include active involvement with student organizations, student government, college or departmental advisory boards, or community organizations that demonstrate commitment to the public good. Two undergraduate students who are juniors or seniors and from Minnesota will be selected to receive a $1,940 scholarship.
- Undergraduate student in their Junior or Senior year AND from Minnesota
- 2018 President’s Student Leadership and Service Award (PSLSA) recipient
- Engagement with the University community with preference given to those students who demonstrate an interest in politics and public service. Examples may include, but are not limited to: active involvement in student organizations, student government, collegiate/departmental advisory boards, or in community organizations that demonstrate a commitment to the public good.
- Candidates for this award will only be considered upon applying for and receiving the PSLSA.
- The PSLSA selection committee will forward a pool of eligible undergraduate students to the James A. Johnson Award selection committee.
- Candidates will be contacted for an interview in late March/early April, after which recipients will be notified.