Student Unions & Activities : University of Minnesota

Student Unions & Activities logo

Fundraising and/or Sales Policy and Procedures

The SUA Sales and Fundraising application is now online. Student Unions & Activities will no longer accept hard copy submissions. Begin your online Sales and Fundraising application here.

Fundraising is one of the best and most proactive ways to make your group self-sufficient, finance your group’s activities and gain valuable experience for the participating members. All student group fundraising activities must follow University policies and procedures, as well as to local, state, and federal laws. When planning a fundraiser, keep the following in mind:

  • Reserved spaces and contact tables must display the name of the student group and be staffed at all times by the members of the student group which have reserved space for the fundraiser or sale.
  • The name of the sponsoring student group must be prominently displayed in all advertising and other communications connected with the fundraising or sales effort, including at the event site itself.
  • Sales of goods and/or fundraising activities are allowed by registered student groups with an approved sales/fundraising permit from Student Unions & Activities.
  • Registered student groups should be aware of policies pertaining to Use of the University of Minnesota Name, Marks and Logos for CLPs and RSOs for use on any merchandise.

On-Campus Sales and/or Fundraising

Student groups officially registered with the University of Minnesota may conduct sales and/or fundraising activities,up to five (5) days per semester or summer session, using University facilities in accordance with the following guidelines. All on-campus sales and/or fundraisers (including the solicitation of donations and merchandise/book sales related to public appearances by musicians, guest speakers, performing artists, non-university vendors, etc.) must be reviewed and approved by Student Unions & Activities. The following policy gives student groups this opportunity and must be adhered to in order to remain in good standing with the University of Minnesota.


Failure to meet the following guidelines may result in your application not being reviewed or approved by Student Unions & Activities (SUA).

  1. Applications must be submitted a minimum of ten (10) business days prior to the sale and/or fundraiser.
  2. Approved sales and/or fundraisers will receive a permit that must be displayed at the site of the sale and/or fundraiser.
  3. Student groups applying for a permit must be registered and in good standing with Student Unions & Activities.
  4. The person filing the application must be a listed officer of the group.
  5. Student groups may be given a permit for a maximum of five (5) days per group per semester or summer session.
  6. A group’s privileges of engaging in sales and/or fundraising activities is subject to immediate cancellation if the methods used interfere with general University operations, are disorderly, improper, obstruct traffic, or if they otherwise interfere with an individual’s rights to privacy and/or freedom from harassment.
  7. Proceeds must go back to the student group, unless monies collected are intended to benefit an off-campus agency, nonprofit organization or musician, guest speaker, performing artist, etc., and the sales are directly related to an event sponsored by a student group. Off-campus agencies, nonprofit organizations, musicians, guest speakers or performing artists shall not be permitted to solicit funds on campus unless they have a contract with the University of Minnesota or are sponsored by a student group as a sales and/or fundraising activity in accordance with the following procedures outlined by Student Unions & Activities. No individuals may profit as a result of the sale and/or fundraiser.
  8. Sales conducted by non-University vendors invited by student groups to participate in a student group-sponsored event at a University facility (including outdoor spaces) must abide by all University policies and procedures that apply to that facility and as permitted by its responsible administrator(s). When the reservation solely consists of a contact table, personnel from non-University vendors or companies are not allowed at the contact table, when sales or sales-related, fundraising or commercial activities are being conducted.
  9. Sales and/or fundraising activities shall not be conducted in classrooms, campus offices, residential facilities, and/or other University buildings, without written consent of the instructor or appropriate administrator.
  10. Sales and/or fundraising activities involving food must comply with the Policy for Serving Food or Refreshments on University Property in association with meetings, social gatherings, and special events; including filing all necessary permits with the Department of Environmental Health and Safety. Bake Sales can occur once per semester per student group.
  11. Ticket sales for admittance to an event does not require a sales and/or fundraising permit.
  12. Gambling is illegal in the State of Minnesota without an approved permit. Student groups generally may not conduct any gambling tournaments or games of chance with or without a permit from the state and may ONLY conduct a raffle with an approved permit from the Minnesota Gambling Control Board. Please see below for more details on gambling.
  13. Donation jars and/or donation solicitation are considered fundraising on campus and groups conducting these activities need a permit to do so. Solicitation of donations is also limited to the five (5) days per semester or summer session guideline.
  14. University policy prohibits the use of University property by non-University entities for the purpose of revenue generation or the sale, solicitation or promotion of goods or services. (Policy: Use and Lease of Real Estate: Appendix to Policy: Using and Leasing University Real Estate (Permissible Uses and Scheduling Priority, Non-permissible uses 1 & 2)
    1. Registered student groups may have non-University sponsors in support of a primary event; however the primary purpose of the event cannot be non-University vendor or sponsor presence, promotion or sales.
    2. When a registered student group has non-University sponsors of an event, insurance requirements and sponsorship agreements may be required.

Application and Permit Procedure

  1. Reserve Student Unions & Activities space at the Event Services Office in 309 Coffman Union or Room 42 St. Paul Student Center or online. For University of Minnesota outdoor space, complete the online application on the Outdoor website. For University of Minnesota classroom space, complete the online application.
  2. Submit a sales and/or fundraising permit application at least ten business days in advance of your fundraiser. Sales and/or fundraising permit applications may be denied if submitted less than ten business days in advance. If you need assistance, contact Event Services at 612-624-9954.
  3. If approved, a copy of the permit will be emailed to the student group officer’s address listed on the permit application. A copy of the permit must be posted at the sale and/or fundraiser.
  4. Save all receipts for expenses incurred as a result of the sale and/or fundraiser and a deposit slip of the amount received from the sale and/or fundraiser. SUA reserves the right to request a financial report from any group should they deem it necessary. Should you be requested to submit a financial report, all receipts must be attached. Failure to respond to a request for a financial report will result in loss of sale and/or fundraising privileges for the remainder of the academic year and could result in the loss of student group status.

Groups must comply with all University of Minnesota, local, state, and federal policies and guidelines. Failure to comply with these policies and procedures could affect student group status with Student Unions & Activities. This includes being responsible for any and all taxes associated with your sale and/or fundraiser.

Gambling, Raffles and Drawings

  1. All forms of gambling are illegal in any location within the State of Minnesota without an approved gambling permit, subject to certain exceptions and requirements. However, student groups are not eligible for a gambling permit with the State of Minnesota or to conduct a raffle, regardless of total value of prizes, unless they have applied for and received 501(c) tax status with the Internal Revenue Service. Student Activities will not review any sales and/or fundraising permits with a gambling component without the student group’s proof of IRS status, and either a State of Minnesota Gambling Control Board permit, or if conducting a raffle, documentation validating that the total yearly monetary value of prizes awarded by the student group/organization for raffles is less than $1,500 (in compliance with Minn. Stat. §349.166, Subd. 1(c)). Below are acceptable activities that may be conducted without a charitable gambling permit.
  2. Registered Student Organizations that have been legally organized and/or have 501(c) tax status with the IRS, should contact the Minnesota Gambling Control Board for more information on eligibility and how to obtain a charitable gambling permit at or 651-639-4000.
  3. Groups may collect charitable donations at an event.
  4. Groups may have a drawing for prizes at your event, provided that you do NOT sell tickets to attend the event or require a payment to enter the drawing for those prizes. Admittance to the event and all prize drawings must be free for all who attend your event. There may be no real or implied cost for participation in your drawing. In events where there is a prize drawing, you may also collect donations, however, participation in the drawing cannot be contingent on payment of the donation (the drawing and donation must remain separate at all times).The ticket or registration form for the drawing must state “no payment or donation is required.”
  5. Poker tournaments are allowed if there is no cost associated. No money may exchange hands at any time (no entry fee, no table fee, no fee per person, no personal money). You may play with chips that have no monetary value and participants may win prizes, but participants may not contribute financially to the poker tournament in any way.
  6. Any questions regarding gambling should be directed to the University’s Office of the General Counsel, the State of Minnesota Gambling Control Board or Student Unions & Activities.

Drawings and Raffles

The following information is taken from the State of Minnesota Gambling Control Board Frequently Asked Questions Page. Student groups will be solely responsible for compliance with all gambling laws, rules and ordinances, whether enumerated in this guide or not.

What is a raffle?
A raffle is defined as a game in which a participant buys a ticket for a chance at a prize with the winner determined by a random drawing to take place at a location and date printed on the ticket.

Who is eligible to conduct a raffle? 
Under Minnesota Statutes, section 349.12, organizations eligible to conduct a raffle are veteran, fraternal, religious, and other nonprofit organizations.

What is a Lottery? 
A lottery is a plan which provides for the distribution of money, property or other reward or benefit to participants selected by chance, some or all of whom, have been given consideration for the chance of being selected.

How can I conduct a chance drawing without violating the law? 
The Minnesota Supreme Court and state statute allow chance drawings which do not require consideration if: (1) the participant is not required to purchase a ticket for drawing in order to win a prize; (2) the participant must be allowed to enter the drawing without any consideration (payment of fee) for a chance to win a prize.

A drawing organizer may not imply that a participant must pay a donation for the chance to win a prize (for example “Suggested Donation, $5”) or may not coerce a participant to pay a donation for the chance to win a prize. If the organizer implies or coerces the participant in any manner, there is a substantial risk of violating law.

Must I keep records? 
The Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Division strongly suggests that those conducting a chance drawing maintain records of donations, number of participants, prizes awarded and the number of prizes awarded.

Bake Sale Requirements

For the protection of the group and for those purchasing foods, the following precautions must be taken:

  1. Acceptable bake sale foods include items like bars, brownies, cookies, cakes, breads, fruit pies, doughnuts, etc. Not allowed: cream-filled pastries, éclairs, cream pies, etc.
  2. All bake sale items shall be individually wrapped at the original point of preparation. Items to remain wrapped until sold.
  3. Preparation may be completed in a home-type kitchen, with the reminder that only the bake sale items shall be prepared at this time. Food for individual consumption should not be prepared at the same time as bake sale items are prepared.
  4. Bake sale items shall be transported in a covered container.
  5. Individuals conducting the baking and/or wrapping or sale of food shall thoroughly wash their hands before handling the product. Do not prepare or package baked items if experiencing nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting.
  6. A sign or placard stating “Homemade/Not Inspected” must be posted at the sale site.

For the protection of the student group and for those purchasing foods, the Bake Sale Permit must be completed and submitted along with a Sales and/or Fundraising permit.

For additional information on approvals, contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at or at 612-626-6002.

Concession Sale Requirements

For student groups interested in selling concessions at on-campus athletic venues as a fundraising opportunity, the following requirements apply:

Campus Life Programs (CLP)

  1. CLP members must not serve and/or sell alcohol (if alcohol service and/or sales do happen, ARAMARK or University of Minnesota employees must handle the distribution and/or sale)
  2. CLP members are provided general liability insurance coverage through the University of Minnesota
  3. Agreements between ARAMARK and the Campus Life Program must be signed by a University administrator with authority to sign contracts (e.g., dean or department head)

Registered Student Organizations (RSO)

  1. RSO members must not serve and/or sell alcohol (if alcohol service and/or sales do happen, ARAMARK or University of Minnesota employees must handle the distribution and/or sale)
  2. RSO needs liability insurance of no less than $1,000,000 of coverage. ARAMARK must be named as an additional insured. RSO may utilize ARAMARK’s insurance plan at no additional cost or obtain their own insurance through an outside company (student group insurance options). Contact information is below to learn more information regarding ARAMARK’s insurance option. RSO must also submit a W-9.
  3. Agreements between ARAMARK and the Registered Student Organization must be signed by an officer of the Registered Student Organization; the University is not a party to the Registered Student Organization’s contract


  • Williams Arena
  • Sports Pavilion
  • Mariucci Arena
  • Ridder Arena
  • TCF Bank Stadium (Only Gopher Sports events)
  • Siebert Field
  • Cowles Stadium


  • Men’s and Women’s Basketball
  • Volleyball
  • Wrestling
  • Football (Groups must commit to the entire football season)
  • Men’s and Women’s Gymnastics
  • Men’s and Women’s Hockey
  • Baseball
  • Softball

ARAMARK Contacts

Davina Holmgren


Mailing Address
2009 University Avenue SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455


Registered Student Organizations shall be responsible for collecting taxes from purchasers and for payment of these and other taxes to appropriate government agencies. Individuals and student groups desiring to determine whether the collection and payment of the sales tax and/or income tax is necessary shall be responsible for consulting with appropriate government agencies.

Off-Campus Sales and/or Fundraising

  1. University Campus Life Programs (CLPs) wishing to solicit donations or contributions from off-campus sources must obtain the approval of the Office of the Director of the University of Minnesota Foundation if all of the following conditions are true:
    1. The money solicited would be given to the student group for its use.
    2. The money would be channeled to the student group through the University.
    3. The amount of money sought is $1,000 or more.
  2. All contributions received by CLPs from off-campus sources, with or without approval from the University of Minnesota Foundation, must be channeled through the University of Minnesota Foundation and as such, may be tax deductible for the giver (Registered Student Organizations do not have this ability).
  3. Off campus sales by CLPs need to be approved by the University of Minnesota Foundation consistent with University policy on fundraising.