Funding for spring events is low and is currently only available for on campus events that are open to all students.
Student Unions & Activities Grants are available to assist with expenses related to student group and departmental events and programs, as well as professional development opportunities for individual students. Funding is not available for student group start-up or general operating costs (i.e. group supplies, meetings, practices, trainings, auditions/try-outs, recruitment events, weekly/biweekly occurrences, etc).
For your convenience, we have one comprehensive grant application which will automatically consider you for all grant initiatives for which you qualify. This includes the Student Activities Grants (Administrative and SSF Event) and Coca-Cola Grants (Activity, Development, Sustainability, and Academic). For a breakdown of the different initiatives, see the Grant Eligibility Table.
Student Activities Grants¶
Includes: Administrative and Student Services Fees (SSF) Event Grants
Funding Focus: The Student Activities Grants are intended to provide supplemental financial support to student groups seeking to host or participate in activities, programs, and special events that enhance the co-curricular experience for students at the University of Minnesota. Applicants must show how project will promote student development, enhance diversity, and/or benefit the campus community.
Includes: Activity Initiative, Development Initiative, Sustainability Initiative, and Academic Initiative
Funding Focus: The Coca-Cola Grants are intended to provide supplemental financial support to student groups, university departments, and individuals seeking to host or participate in activities, programs, and special events that enhance the co-curricular experience for students at the University of Minnesota. Applications must show how the project will promote student development, enhance diversity, and/or benefit the campus community. Applicants may request their award in the form of funding and/or Coca-Cola® products.
Grant Process Overview¶
- Apply for grant online in accordance with listed application due dates. It is recommended that applicants apply at least one cycle prior to their final deadline, in order to allow time for re-application if denied and to improve the likelihood of receiving funds prior to event date. Start Your Online Application.
- Continue planning your event while waiting to receive grant award notification. Please see the Sample Event Planning Worksheet.
- Grant application is reviewed by the SUA Grant Committee.
- If awarded, follow the instructions outlined in your grant award notification email. Awarded groups will be required to submit a Statement of Agreement within two weeks of the award notification email in order to retain the grant award.
- RSOs will be notified that their check is ready for pickup from the Student Activities Office within 2-4 weeks after submitting the Statement of Agreement. Campus Life Program (CLPs), University Departments, and individuals will receive their grant award through departmental EFS transfer.
- If your group was awarded Coca-Cola Product as part of your grant award, place your order with Coca-Cola directly at least two weeks prior to your event. You will receive further instructions regarding this process if this applies to you.
- Host your event.
- Following the completion of your event, schedule a post-event meeting by contacting the Student Activities Office. The post-event meeting must be completed within 30 days of your event. Complete the Event/Project Evaluation form, actual budget, and upload all event receipts before attending your Post-Event Meeting.