Your student group’s roster on GopherLink has implications for accessing student group resources and remaining in good standing with the University. The Roster tool is a great way to manage your student group's currently involved students, send invitations to new members, and identify group officers. GopherLink is a much more powerful tool if your group's roster lists all members.
You must be a student group officer and signed into the GopherLink Administrative Dashboard with your University of Minnesota Internet ID and password to manage your group's roster and access the help guides below.
Requirements for Student Group Rosters¶
To remain in good standing with the University, registered student groups must meet the following requirements:
- Your group’s roster needs…
- At least 5 University of Minnesota students, who are the officers of your group and meet the requirements for student group officers, listed in an officer position. Individuals listed as “members” do not satisfy the minimum officer requirement.
- Of the officers listed, your group must have…
- At least 1 person listed as President - The officer(s) who can take primary responsibility for the group
- At least 1 person listed as Treasurer - The officer(s) responsible for the group's financial management and processes
Contact the Registration Assistant at email@example.com with questions or concerns about satisfying these requirements.
Assigning Member/Officer Positions¶
GopherLink has six roles an officer/member can hold on the Officer Roster.
Review the descriptions below to help assign positions on your rosters. You can have more than one person holding the same position. Your group may use different titles for your officers, or your group may have no hierarchy and all officers are just officers. Use the descriptions below to help match your group’s positions to the default positions.
- President - An officer who can take primary responsibility for the group
- Vice President - A secondary officer for your group, or an officer assigned to a focus area within your group
- Treasurer - An officer who handles the financial management of your group
- Secretary - An officer who handles record keeping, administrative tasks, or other organizational functions for the group
- Committee Chair - A general officer that doesn't fit the above descriptions
- Member - NOT AN OFFICER POSITION. A general/voting member of your group.
Any person listed in an officer position must meet the minimum requirements for student group officers. Review the Officer Responsibilities in the Student Group Handbook for details.
Instructions to Manage Your Student Group Rosters¶
Import members to your roster with UMN Email Address
- Sign into the Administrative Dashboard with your University of Minnesota Internet ID and password. You must be an officer of a student group to access the Administrative Dashboard.
- Click here to learn how to Import Rosters from an Email List.
Add/Edit officers or members on your Internal Roster
- You can add and remove officers/members from the group's roster during re-registration. You will find a Roster section on your group’s re-registration form. A screenshot of an example section is below.
- Click the “Add Member” to add a new person
- Change a person to “Former” to remove someone
- Change a person’s “Membership to edit their position
- Once your group’s re-registration form is approved, all new officers will receive an email invitation to the group via GopherLink. New officers must accept that invitation to appear on the roster.
At any point outside of re-registration
- Sign into the Administrative Dashboard with your UMN Internet ID and password. You must be an officer of a student group to access the Administrative Dashboard.
- Depending on what you are trying to do, complete one of the following set of instructions:
- Required if adding officers to your roster: complete this access form to give new officers administrative access to your group’s profile.
- Officers without administrative access cannot manage your group’s roster, re-register your group, post/manage events on GopherLink, or update your group’s public profile on GopherLink.
- New officers/members will receive an email invitation to join the group via GopherLink. New officers/members must accept that invitation to appear on the Internal Roster.
Student Group Advising
Students may visit z.umn.edu/studentgroupadvising to schedule an appointment with their group's Student Activities Advisor to discuss general group operations, leadership, registration questions, finances and funding, tax information, and more.