Ben Van Handel Outstanding Service Award
The Ben Van Handel Student Employee Outstanding Service Award is intended to recognize student employees that have shown exemplary work within Student Unions & Activities. Recipients of this award have shown outstanding achievement in customer service, leadership, teamwork, mentorship or innovation. They are positive role models, work effectively with staff of all levels and are exceptional team players.
Ben Van Handel was hired as a Gameroom Attendant in February of 2008 and promoted to Sr. Student Manager at the Gopher Spot in November 2009. Ben also participated in the internship class in Spring 2010 and acted as a SUA Ambassador, promoting Student Unions and Activities to incoming freshman and others. His overall performance, positive attitude and his dedication to Customer Service were remarkable. In his own words, Ben always tried to "treat any customer as if they are the only thing that matters to us." Ben tragically passed in April 2011.
SUA recognizes Ben's contributions to Student Unions & Activities as an exemplary employee, supervisor, leader, and team member with this award in his memory.
- Elaine Caspers, Goldy’s Gameroom
- Aubrey Villareal, Gopher Express West
- Kaitlyn Hendrickson, Event Services
- Flora Hsu, Gopher Express West
- Sam Schippel, Gopher Express West
- Alison Mach, SPSC Art Gallery
- Allison Dahlen, SPSC Facilities & Operations
- Rebecca Simon, CMU Information Desk
- Chelsea Gibbs, Gopher Express West
- Karly Wallack, Marketing
- Eric White, Payroll
- Katie Bukowski, Finance
- Lizz Feldt, Event Services
- Patrice Fick, Gopher Express
- Jody Robinson, Gopher Spot