Student Activities Advisors can help with the registration process. Visit 126 Coffman, email email@example.com, or call (612) 626-6919.
The student group registration process is how student groups maintain a relationship with the University. Student group registration is administered through Student Unions & Activities and is required annually. Student groups that are registered with the University of Minnesota have the ability to conduct activities at the University in accordance with established University policies and procedures. Student Unions & Activities maintains an official file/record for registered groups in the Student Activities Office. Any information pertaining to the group’s registration, constitution, or classification status contained in the student group’s file/record is considered public information. Student groups register in one of the following classifications:
Registered Student Organization (RSO)
A voluntary association comprised primarily of students that have no direct relationship to the University; but upon completion of the established registration process, have the ability to conduct activities at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus.
Campus Life Program (CLP)
A voluntary association comprised primarily of students whose activities, operations, and decision-making processes are directly governed by University academic or administrative departments, and for which the University is ultimately responsible. Upon completion of the established registration process, they have the ability to conduct activities on the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus.
Steps to Complete the Registration Process
Once a group completes the registration process, they will have access to student group benefits until September 30 of the following calendar year.
Once a student has started the registration form, they may view the incomplete or complete submission by visiting the My Involvement page in GopherLink. Students cannot edit the form once it has been submitted
IMPORTANT: To be considered registered for the 2017-18 school year, all groups must submit their re-registration on GopherLink. Groups who are currently registered must complete the process by September 30, 2017 or they will be considered expired. Any group who does not complete the registration process may lose access to benefits until they complete the re-registration benefits.
Re-registering groups are not required to submit a constitution to complete the registration process. They may submit an updated constitution to the Student Activities Office (firstname.lastname@example.org), then upload any new constitutions to their group's profile on GopherLink.
- New groups must prepare a constitution (re-registering groups may upload a new constitution to their group’s profile at any time and are not required to submit a constitution to re-register).
- Review your group’s constitution and verify that it includes the minimum requirements, including signatures from at least five declared officers.
- Save the ratified and signed constitution as a PDF and upload to GopherLink during the registration process.
- The Student Activities Office will review your constitution and communicate with the group if it needs any edits or changes.
Online Registration Requirements for Registered Student Organizations
- One student from each organization must complete the online registration process on GopherLink.
- During the online registration process, submit the required materials on behalf of the group.
- All groups must submit the UMN Internet IDs of at least 5 officers of the organization.
- Campus Life Programs must submit the UMN Internet IDs of their Campus Life Program Advisor and Campus Life Program Department Head (may be the same person).
- All new groups must submit a student group constitution meeting all seven minimum requirements.
- New Campus Life Programs must submit a Signed CLP Advisor Letter.
- Once the completed form is submitted, the Student Activities Office will review the submission and communicate next steps.
- If your form has missing requirements, your form will be sent back with details about the changes required. Please update the registration submission in GopherLink and re-submit to Student Activities for approval.
- If your form has all the requirements completed, your form will be approved.
- If your form includes all the completed requirements, the form will be approved and next steps will be communicated.
- Groups who were currently registered through September 30, 2017: The group's registration process is complete and you are considered currently registered through September 30, 2018.
- New groups: The group will be required to attend a 30 minute meeting with a Student Activities Advisor and submit the $30 registration payment to complete the process and be considered currently registered through September 30, 2018.
- Expired groups: The group will be required to submit the $30 registration payment to complete the process and be considered currently registered through September 30, 2018.
Required Information During the Registration Process
This information will be publicly displayed in the Student Group Directory
- Group Name: It is very important to pick an informative student group name. Please see the rules about naming your group.
- Classification: Are you an RSO or a CLP? New groups will be asked to specify the classification of the group. This will determine the information necessary for the group to complete the re-registration process.
- Summary: Add your group’s mission or purpose in 225 characters or less. If you have more to say, use the “Description” field.
- Profile Picture: Select a picture for people to see each time they visit your group’s profile page.
- Officers: A minimum of five enrolled officers are required for registration. You will need the UMN Internet IDs of your officers to complete registration. Campus Life Programs will also need the UMN Internet IDs of their Campus Life Program Advisor and Campus Life Program Department Head.
- Categories: You can pick up to three categories that best describe your group. You will be listed under these categories in the Student Group Directory.
- Descriptions and Questions: You will be able to provide a brief description of your group. You will also be asked to answer these questions below. (Note: Only new groups will be asked these questions on the registration form. Currently registered groups can update this information on the group's GopherLink page.)
- Please list your principle activities, events, or programs.
- How do your activities benefit the University community?
- How can someone get involved with your group?
- Campus Life Program Letter (CLPs only): All CLPs are required to have a letter signed by the current Campus Life Program Advisor and Campus Life Program Department Head and new groups are required to upload the letter in the registration form. Download the template on the Student Activities Office GopherLink page.