#2921: Viivncaus-Hmong Women's Group
- Currently Registered
- Last Registered
- June 22, 2013
- Registration Expiration Date
- September 30, 2014
- Registered Student Organization
- Academic and Educational,Cultural and Diversity
About this Group
- Group Description
- Viivncaus (pronounced 'vee-gah-ow') is a non-profit group that seeks to create an environment to support our membersâ€™ journey on establishing cultural identity, networks, and connections with other women on campus and in our communities. Our objectives include holding open discussions about balancing culture, education, and relationships to promote success in this dynamic environment.
- Group's principal activities, events, or programs:
- As Viivncaus - Hmong Womenâ€™s Group, our principal program consists of hosting monthly activities and/or events that engage our participants in open discussion forums, academic support study group sessions, educational workshops, and interactive learning development activities. We focus on providing a safe space to raise cultural awareness of Hmong women in the context of retention in higher education and the importance of diversity. We also focus on career success strategies, relationships amongst families and friends, as well as networking with resources on campus and the wider Twin Cities community.
- How this group's activities benefit the University community:
- We are a group of young women that strive to promote diversity and cultural awareness in the University community through the lens of Hmong women. We advocate for higher education and leadership among young women in hopes to help diversify the growing University student population and community.
- How this group fits into its categories:
- We fit the cultural and diversity category because we strive to increase cultural awareness in the University community through open group conversations, workshops, and other events as well as work towards building a community composed of a variety of diverse perspectives and ideas. We fit the academic and educational category because we seek to educate others about our culture and traditions. In addition to educating others about our culture, another focus of ours is retention in higher education and life-long learning.
- How to get involved with this group:
- Our monthly meetings, workshops, and open discussion forums are open to all women. In addition, we also plan to collaborate with other student groups and hold events open to the public. No membership is required to participate in our monthly meetings. To become a member of our student group, you can request a membership form to be completed by contacting the Secretary, Manuria Yang, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact the outreach coordinator officer, Liang Xiong, at email@example.com about how to get involved. Feel free to add us as a friend on facebook: Viivncaus Umn-tc.
148 Appleby Hall 128 Pleasant St S.E. Minneapolis, MN 55455