#2789: CVM Shelter Medicine Club
- Currently Registered
- Last Registered
- October 22, 2013
- Registration Expiration Date
- September 30, 2014
- Registered Student Organization
- Academic and Educational,Service
About this Group
- Group Description
- Our purpose is to promote interest, improve public involvement and increase the knowledge of veterinarians, vet students, and pre-vet students in the field of shelter medicine. With the help of local shelters, animal controls, and rescue groups, we hope to increase awareness of the homeless animal population and the role we as future veterinarians can play to improve animal welfare. Whether veterinarians are working in private practice or directly in a shelter/animal control, they can make a huge impact in the lives of animals and humans alike by offering resources and knowledge to aid in the reduction of unnecessary relinquishment, abandonment and euthanasia of companion animals.
- Group's principal activities, events, or programs:
- We plan to increase the knowledge of veterinarians and vet students in the field of shelter medicine and animal welfare. We hope to increase student awareness of the various roles veterinarians play in animal welfare organizations such as protecting animalsâ€™ health, relieving the suffering of animals, and promoting public health. We hope to raise public awareness of issues pertaining to homeless animals and pet overpopulation. We plan to cooperate with local shelters to help evaluate standards of shelter medicine. We will invite speakers to educate on what shelter medicine entails and how we can improve this area of veterinary medicine.
- How this group's activities benefit the University community:
- The activities we plan to do and the speakers we plan to invite will be educational to the students of the university as well as to the public. We will show that the College of Veterinary Medicine is concerned about these issues and that we are taking action to help improve the situation that many animals live in.
- How this group fits into its categories:
- Our group fits into both the educational category and the service category. We plan to educate via speakers and presentations, as well as visits to local shelters. We also plan to serve the community by getting involved with programs that offer veterinary care to those animals who are homeless and helping to control overpopulation of animals. We will also try to involve ourselves with organizations that offer veterinary care at a low cost or free of charge to those pet owners who cannot afford the best care for their animals.
- How to get involved with this group:
- To get involved with the group, please contact the officers at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Animal Science/Veterinary Medicine Attn: Shelter Med Club 1988 Fitch Avenue St. Paul, MN 55108