#2388: Students Against Hunger
- Currently Registered
- Last Registered
- August 6, 2013
- Registration Expiration Date
- September 30, 2014
- Registered Student Organization
- Cultural and Diversity,Political and Social Action,Service
About this Group
- Group Description
- Students Against Hunger at the University of Minnesota is a meal making satellite of Kids Against Hunger, a non-profit organization located in New Hope, MN. Our mission is to aid Kids Against Hunger in significantly reducing the number of hungry children locally and globally by providing a community service activity that is meaningful, fun and memorable. Through enlisting members and volunteers from the University community, we package nutritious meals researched by food scientists in order to battle deathâ€™s grip on over 40,000 children who die each day due to malnutrition, starvation and hunger-related diseases. We also aim to help students engender values that will enable them to be world citizens through education, fundraisers, food drives and raising awareness of the needs of those less privileged locally and globally. In addition to packaging meals, we also package food baskets and serve at soup kitchens, which helps local families.
- Group's principal activities, events, or programs:
- We package meals during a 2 hour session that occurs several times a semester in the community room of Stadium Village Church, which is located across Oak Street from Frontier Hall (Superblock). Both student groups and individuals are welcomed to sign up for a session. In one two-hour session, we are able to package over 4,000 meals on average! We also serve at soup kitchens, which directly help families locally. Additionally, we fund raise, raise awareness about world hunger, educate and promote our organization throughout the year.
- How this group's activities benefit the University community:
- Our activities benefit the University community in that firstly, we provide an opportunity for individuals and student groups across campus to volunteer and participate in community and worldwide service. Secondly, we provide an opportunity for the University community to show their concern for the less fortunate locally and globally; showing that we are striving to make a difference in our world. Thirdly, we provide a safe environment where members of the University community can gather simply to enjoy one another's company and build community by participating in a meaningful activity.
- How this group fits into its categories:
- Service- We rely on volunteers and members like YOU to raise funds, package meals/food baskets and serve at soup kitchens, which benefits our global and local communities. Cultural and Diversity- All people are welcome to join us in packaging the meals, which are delivered to many poverty stricken regions. Political and Social Action- We believe it is the responsibility of those who have been given much to help those who have been given little. The meals we package and deliver are raised by private small and large donations, meaning that the meals come at no cost to those who receive them.
- How to get involved with this group:
- If you would like to get involved with our student group, either with packaging meals, fundraisers or raising awareness, please send an email to <email@example.com>. Both groups and individuals are welcomed and encouraged. Remember, in one two-hour session we are able to package over 4,000 meals!
Students Against Hunger Stadium Village Church 501 Oak Street Minneapolis, MN 55414
- Taylor Moore
- Jennifer Nguyen
- Vivian Nguyen
- Event Planning Coordinator
- Jenna Aldrich
- Chelsea Lesniak
- Xinyang Wang
- Krista Hanamann