#1803: Biology Without Borders
- Currently Registered
- Last Registered
- May 28, 2014
- Registration Expiration Date
- September 30, 2015
- Campus Life Program
- Cultural and Diversity,Honorary and Leadership,Service
- College of Biological Sciences, Student Services
About this Group
- Group Description
- We, the Biology Without Borders student organization, shall lead students on annual global volunteer trips while connecting students with resources and making them advocates for global and social change. Our goal is to promote ethical volunteerism as well as community-based and sustainable projects in underserved areas, both locally and globally.
- Group's principal activities, events, or programs:
- - Annual international volunteer trips (Tanzania, Peru, etc) -International Service Trips: Tanzania & Peru -Local volunteer opportunities (People Serving People, Ronald McDonald House, etc) - Informational meetings detailing opportunities both on campus, in the community, and internationally, as well as details on avenues to pursue after graduation - Speakers involved in development, health, and/or the environment - Volunteer opportunities relating to biology, health, the environment, and underserved communities - And more!
- How this group's activities benefit the University community:
- Our activities benefit the University community by bringing together students interested in health sciences, environmental sciences, as well as biology related activities. We offer activities to enhance students' international health experience and their cultural awareness. We also strive to educate the campus on issues surrounding development in the "Global South" as well as global health and environmental issues. Also benefiting the University Community, we provide information to our members on ways they can pursue volunteerism and activism after graduation and how they can continue to be contributing members of the University of Minnesota through service.
- How this group fits into its categories:
- - Cultural and Diversity: We offer students international experience in culturally and diversely different atmospheres through our service trips. - Honorary and Leadership: We offer students opportunities to engage in leadership roles by assisting and organizing group events. - Service: Our main activities are community service and international service. Students will experience both forms of service while learning about other cultures as well as health and the environment.
- How to get involved with this group:
- Students from all majors/areas of study are welcome. To get involved with BWB, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our website for more details. We do have an application for members to fill out if interested, but membership is not necessary to attend meetings.
Rookie Campus Life Program of the Year
Outstanding Service / Philanthropic Project
Biology Without Borders 126 Coffman Memorial Union 300 Washington Ave. SE Minneapolis, MN 55455