#1725: Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students
- Currently Registered
- Last Registered
- May 12, 2014
- Registration Expiration Date
- September 30, 2015
- Registered Student Organization
- Academic and Educational,Cultural and Diversity,Health and Wellness
About this Group
- Group Description
- The mission of Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students (MAPS) is to guide and assist minority pre-medical students explore and gain insight into professional healthcare careers by coordinating and implementing informational programs, providing helpful academic resources, and organizing volunteer opportunities. MAPS will also strive to create awareness about healthcare disparities among minorities and work towards eliminating them.
- Group's principal activities, events, or programs:
- We have a calendar which includes 4 workshops and two volunteer activities per semester. Workshops will include speakers such as physicians who will interactively teach about the medical profession and the health care system. We also hold a Health Disparities Week during the spring semester which consists of lectures from medical professionals as well as films on health disparities worldwide. Another event we hold is a Go Red 5K, which raises money for the American Heart Association as well as brings awareness to the community about heart health.
- How this group's activities benefit the University community:
- Our activities are not only directed towards benefiting pre-medical students on University campus, but they also increase awareness about health disparities in the community. Through this, the group achieves a balance between benefiting pre-medical students with medical school admission processes and increasing awareness of health-related issues.
- How this group fits into its categories:
- Minority Association for Pre-medical students fits into Academic and Educational category because of its mission to raise awareness of minority health disparities. Also, it belongs to the Cultural and Diversity category due to its attempt to diminish these disparities through cultural awareness by physicians and other speakers.
- How to get involved with this group:
- Interested students can attend our workshops and board meetings as well which are held every other week at a consistent meeting time. Also, membership forms are available for those interested in becoming a member. They can contact anyone on the board including the advisor for more information about the group, its mission, events, and goals. More information is also available at our website: http://mapremedical.webstarts.com/index.html
Outstanding Co-sponsored Program or Event
Outstanding Co-Sponsored Program / Event